Friday, May 22, 2009

The 1874 Diary of Ypsi Teen Allie McCullough

Part of a year-long weekly series of excerpts from Ypsilanti teenager Allie McCullough's 1874 diary, from the last year of her life.

You may remember that last week Allie was still not feeling quite well, and trying and failing to study her Geometry in preparation for going back to school, after being out for some time due to her illness. Will and Allie's father brought in a doctor to check on her.

May 22 Fri. Nothing must do but that Will and Pa must have a doctor so Dr. Patterson came. Gave me a lot of horrid medicine to take every hour of the day; a pill every other hour and it has made me feel horrid sick. Have not cared all day whether I live or die. Ma and Aunty went up to Ann Arbor, had a very nice time. Got back about 4:30.

May 23 Sat. Dressed and went up to Carrie N's. Joe was there and we had a good chat. I stayed until about six. Carrie came down town with me. Saw Mr. VanCleve and almost all of the boys. Miss Pierce came down this morning on her little pony to see me, so I have seen them all. Carrie W. came down town with us. Aunty got me a lovely lavender tie. I went up to the Post Office about dark.

May 24 Sun. Read all of the morning. Wrote in the afternoon. Will M. is upstairs with Will. Aunty is out on the stoop with Pa and Ma. Mary Basom is in the parlor with the girls. I am alone in the sitting room. Wish some of the girls were here to talk with me. Believe I will play on the organ and see if I can dispel this feeling of lonesomeness.

May 25 Mon. Went to school today. All seemed glad to see me. Don't know whether they were or not. Have heard nothing all day but "how pale you look," "How poor you are," and I am tired of that. Mr. Stickland was there, said very little to him and after he went, i found that he had come to bid good-bye. He is going East.

May 26 Tues. Have had me lessons today. It is very warm. Stayed after school a long while. Sung those college songs. Had ever so much fun. Did not get home until quite late. There was a wash woman.

May 27 Wed. Carrie N. came down tonight. We had quite a nice talk. I have written some on my essay for Public Lyceum. It is hard work to write and especially such weather as this. Had a talk in the Library with Alfred Legrand.

May 28 Thurs. Terrible hot. Looked all the afternoon as if it would rain. Has not. Went up to Carrie N's after supper. Had a nice time. Had an introduction to Mr. Canfield. Addressed no more than two sentences to D. (Durbin).

May 29 Fri. It was so very warm in the afternoon that I could not go back to school. Put on as cool clothing as possible. Laid down, went to sleep about an hour. When I awoke the wind was blowing and it was raining. It stopped in time for Lyceum so I went. Was chairman and had some fun (Pinch Bugs).

May 30 Sat. Did quite a little work this morning. Carrie N. came down about three in the afternoon and we took the horses and went to Spencer's Woods for flowers. Had a jolly time. Got home about six o'clock and then went to work and made a rockery and put the vines and flowers in it.

May 31 Sun. Didn't go to church but stayed home all day. Had a very good paper to read.

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

"May 31 Sun. Didn't go to church but stayed home all day. Had a very good paper to read."

:D

Dusty D said...

Yeah, she skipped out on church a lot, which I found curious. I'd
assumed that back then if Papa and Mama went, the kids went too, NO
question about it.

I *think* by "paper" she means a paper one of her friends wrote for
the Lyceum, hm, mebbe not since then she'd probably have named the
friend. Must be a newspaper I suppose.

Anonymous said...

I love these diary entries...

Dusty D said...

I'm glad you like them. I do too. IN many ways her life like many modern lives is mundane. But the slow accretion of details and chats she had in her diary is really growing on me and drawing back the curtain.

I have one special treat in store for fans of Allie's diary. I have located her gravestone and am visiting it tomorrow (!) to take pictures!

It's in the "child" section of Highland Cemetery...it's gonna be sad. But I am so eager to see it, and pay respects, to the girl whose words we are all reading so many years later.