Thursday, June 4, 2009

Clara Wiederhoft's Grave in Highland Cemetery

In Highland Cemetery yesterday, Dusty D was startled to stumble upon a grave marked "Clara H. Wiederhoft 1889." Remembering the recent post about onetime Ypsilanti domestic Bertha Wiederhoft and her 1906 letter, DD took some pictures in the slim chance that Clara was related.

Later checking reveals a Clara Hulda Wiederhoft listed on a Wiederhoft genealogy page as Bertha Wiederhoft's infant sister. Clara was one of two of Bertha's mother Eva's children to die in infancy, the other being Martha just four years earlier.

Is this the same Clara? Chances are it is. Bertha Wiederhoft would have been 3 years old, so fortunately she probably never experienced the sad death.

Clara Hulda Wiederhoft is buried in section 50, approximately at the pink spot on the map of Highland Cemetery.

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

I would love to connect and talk in person as my grandmother was Anna Wiederhoft, sister of Bertha. I love family history as well as local history. I live in Ypsilanti. Please feel free to call me, I'm listed in the phone book. I would welcome hearing from you. Susan Metler

Anonymous said...

Clara was indeed the sister to Bertha, she died before she turned one.
I put the urn and flowers on her grave as I do most of my family members that are buried at Highland. Her sister Martha who also died young was born in 1884 when the family was still in Boston, MA. before coming to Michigan. Came to Ypsilanti in 1888 and lived in a farm house on Stoney Creek Road on the left right after you cross over Textile Road.They helped work the Elliott Farm for some years. The farm house was moved into the city and was located on Race Street and later torn down.
Susan M.

Dusty D said...

Dear Ms. Metler: That is amazing--there are so many connections. Thank you for your kind offer to do so; I will give you a call sometime next week. I don't really have any additional information about the W. family, however.

It's quite amazing to find out the identity of the actual person who placed the urn!

Thank you for your additional family stories--quite interesting! A shame they tore the house down! Might you by chance know the Race Street address?

Anonymous said...

I don't know the address but I'll be back at Library going over old city directories to try and find it. If I have any luck I will post it.

Susan Metler