Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The 1919 Diary of Ypsilanti High School Teacher Carrie Hardy

Part of a year-long serialization of Ypsilanti high school math teacher Carrie Hardy's diary.May 13 Tues. After school I tutored Mr. Simon + Mr. VanWegen then Miss Swaine + I attended a meeting of the Home Asso'n in the Methodist Church.

May 14 Wed. Student-Faculty Council meeting + decided that the school should present the Signal Corps fellows with a silk flag. Lillian + I drove to A. A.

May 15 Thurs. Not feeling well. Took Miss Gieske down to the Forum after music. Typed slips for Mr. Piper. Lillian, Iva, + I drove about town in evening.

May 16 Fri. Senior plays tonight. Lillian to stay all night with me. Well the Senior plays were fairly good. There were three short plays: Misses Gieske, Covee, Leich coaches.

May 17 Sat. Finished my pillow-slips (scalloped) + spider-webb [sic] camisole. Miss Gieske's case gave a chicken dinner in the lunch room. Places for 7 people. hattie called.

May 18 Sun. Hot bath. Miss Laird over. Had dinner with Miss Gieske. Wore my oxfords for first time. Lillian + I went to church in the evening.

May 19 Mon. Circus in town--i.e. out on the Ainsworth farm. Tutored the two boys after school. Home alone all the evening. Drove down to see about my photos.

May 20 Tues. Student-faculty Council after school, discussed the Constitution. Lillian + Miss McNeil called after supper. Rain.

No comments :