Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Tidbits from the October 12, 1878 Ypsilanti Commercial

The Indians of Wyoming are killing settlers and stealing stock. The troops are in hot pursuit.

From now until January 1st it is lawful to shoot wild turkeys and partridges. $60 fine for snaring and trapping.

The Indians are busy in Texas, and Sunday three boys and a girl were killed near Junction City on Guadaloupe River, and reports from the vicinity show that the Indians are stealing stock and murdering settlers.

Warren Maguire, of Vermontville, went into a well on the morning of October 1 and was overcome by the foul air. Although the well was but 18 or 20 feet deep, his body has not yet been recovered at latest advices.

Sunday forenoon a gravel train on the Toledo and Ann Arbor Railroad, when one mile south of Milan, ran over a steer. The train was thrown from the track and seven cars twisted and mashed to pieces. The brakeman, Adams, of Deerfield, Mich., was killed, and a number were badly injured. The coroner's inquest acquitted the railroad company of all blame.

A convict at the Jackson State Prison, named Jeremiah Donovan, committed suicide Tuesday afternoon, October 1, by seating himself on the belt of the large fly-wheel in the eastern end of the trip-hammer shop, and being srawn under the wheel, when he was instantly crushed. he was sent from Detroit in February, 1876, and was a desperate and incorrigible character.

The report of the State Salt Inspector for September shows that 228,029 barrels of salt were manufactured and inspected last month, the largest amount ever inspected in one month and 36,649 more than were inspected in September last year. The total amount inspected this season to October 1 was 1,462,568 barrels, against 1,260,123 barrels last year, being an increase of 202,445 barrels.

THE C. CORNWELL--On Wednesday afternoon last, a message was received by our engine company that the M. C. R. R. wood at Wayne was on fire. In seventeen minutes from the time the message was received the engine was on the cars ready for a start. The special train left here at 5:12 and reached Wayne at 5:30. Getting at work as quickly as possible, the engine did not cease working until 1 A.M. The firemen succeeded in cutting the pile in two so that out of a pile of between 2,000 and 3,000 cords, only 700 were burned. The firemen returned about 2:15 A.M.

No comments :