Friday, August 28, 2009

The 1874 Diary of Ypsilanti Teen Allie McCullough

Part of a year-long weekly series of excerpts from Ypsilanti teenager Allie McCullough's 1874 diary, from the last year of her life.

You may remember that last week Allie was getting close to school-time. She also had a bout of illness...would it crop up again once school began?

Aug. 28 Fri. Mary and I went to John Harwoods today. Stopped and got Mrs. Clark. Did not get there until almost noon and came away after supper, but for certain reasons did not get home until almost eight o'clock. Mary stayed. Had a nice time.

Aug. 29 Sat. Was quite busy all the forenoon. Expected Mary tonight, but she did not come. Went over and called on Miss Bergers. Did not stay long, then went over to Mary Wordens. She got Marion's globe for wax cross [?] It is beautiful and nearly finished. Alex came home last night.

Aug. 30 Sun. Mary has come home. Went to Church this morning with Mother. Mr. Fuller preached his farewell sermon and then the rest of the morning begged for money. Stayed for S. S. Read Shakespeare all the the afternoon and took a nap. J. N. came down and we went to church in the evening.

Aug. 31 Mon. I fixed over my dress this afternoon and tried on some of my winter clothes. Joe N. is here in the afternoon. We had quite a nice time. Have got to go to school tomorrow. The very thoughts of it make me sick. I dread to go but this vacation has been lovely.

Sept. 1 Tues. Went to school. Every thing just the same. Two new boys and Chet Yost, besides those that come from the Grammar Room. I have the back seat in the senior row. It seems as if I had not been out of school not at all. Mr. Lane takes VanCleve's place. Have a terrible cold and fearful headache.

Sept. 2 Wed. Went to school. Study Intellectual Philosophy, General History, which is rather ancient commencing with the beginning of the Bible. Did not go to school this afternoon as I had nothing to do. Had callers today. The girls are in the country.

Sept. 3 Thurs. It rained this morning and this noon so that I did not come home to dinner. Got my Latin lesson, then read Shakespeare with Jennie S. Have had all of my lessons today. Went up town in the evening.

Sept. 4 Fri. It is rather cold this morning. I went to Lyceum in the evening. Mr. W. was there and Mr. S. but I did not have a chance to speak to either. Did not get but one chance to speak to J.S. and then did not speak. I read the resolutions. Joe and A. E. L. (Alfred Lucking) was there. I had fun.

Thanks for reading; tune in this coming Friday for another chapter!.

No comments :