Saturday, November 14, 2009

The 1874 Diary of Ypsilanti Teen Allie McCullough

Part of a year-long weekly series of excerpts from Ypsilanti teenager Allie McCullough's 1874 diary, from the last year of her life.

You may remember that last week Allie went to dancing school, wrote a letter and received one, and heard of the tragic accident of a little boy she knew, who had his limbs cut off by a train.

Nov. 13 Fri. Miss something in Philosophy this morning but recited all the rest of the lesson and had it better than the others. Did the same thing in History and in Latin. Prof. C. asked me a question I could not answer and he said, "I would not forget all I ever knew on this particular day." Was provoked enough to kill him, but did not show it the least bit. Did not go to Lyceum. Went up town and got trimmings for my sack.

Nov. 14 Sat. Went up to Carrie's this afternoon. Had a good time. Stayed until after dark. Went to dancing school, had a splendid time. Am getting so I like it better and can do it ever so much better but the worst part of it is having so many come and ask you to dance that you don't like or can't refuse. Got home and in bed twelve o'clock.

Nov. 15 Sun. Did not have anything to wear around me, so I did not go to Church. Read all the whole day.

Nov. 16 Mon. Can't remember anything in particular that happened. There were four funerals today and a man was all smashed to pieces on the cars. It is terrible. Carrie was down tonight. Had a real good talk.

Nov. 17 Tues. Rained very hard today. Got a letter from Will C. It is about the same as usual, nothing very interesting. Had all of my lessons in school and some fun coming home. Came home by way of the depot.

Nov. 18 Wed. Had a grand old time in school today, something we used to have last winter and Miss Pierce is terrible provoked at me and is always blowing about the example that I must set for the younger scholars. She don't like me any better than I like her.

Nov. 19 Thurs. Ma went to Detroit today. I went over to the depot with her. Did not see ant very nobby fellows. Walked over with Nell Beach. Had ever so much fun. Met L. F. L. D. in the Post Office. Had a jolly time. Went to bed quite early.

Nov. 20. Fri. It has snowed all day and so hard at night that I did not go to Lyceum. Read almost all the evening. Will went to Lyceum. Said he had a good time. Everyone wanted to know where I was, but I am glad that I did not go.

Thanks for reading; tune in this coming Friday for another chapter!.

No comments :