Thursday, November 19, 2009

Writing about the invisible

Dusty D's favorite topic to write about are things that are not there.

I wrote a story about passenger pigeons for the Observer that I absolutely loved. It'll be in the upcoming book, and I'm proud to set that story before the public. It's good. It dealt with my favorite thing to write about: the invisible, the vanished, the things that are no longer there.

I'm having the fun of writing such a story now. It's about the vanished places in Washtenaw County: Unadilla, Bullock's Corners, Panama Township. Those places exist only on old plat maps and in old accounts. But they were real to folks at one time, and it is a pleasure to dig them up again. The places, I mean.

So that should pop up soon in either the Courier or Citizen. Hope you like it. Back to research now...

3 comments :

Sandy D. said...

Actually, it would be a pleasure to literally dig some of these places up. Well, in the summer, anyway.

BF said...

The passenger pigeon. Surely one of the most damning stories of our ability to exploit something into oblivion.

RIP Martha.

Anonymous said...

Unadilla's still there - you can see it on Google Maps. From what I've seen it's a farm town with just a general store (on Unadilla Road). I'd guess that's all it ever was - or have you found differently?