Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Tidbits from the September 28, 1878 Ypsilanti Commercial

The Ypsilanti City Band won the second prize at the contest in Jackson, Thursday.

Amor Lazier, who recently escaped from detective Baker, of Lansing, at Jackson, is in Windsor.

The Victor canning works of Benton Harbor are now putting up 20,000 cans of tomatoes every 24 hours.

The Bay City Tribune says, we understand, that the potatoes are rotting quite badly. All who have Early Rose undug will do well to dig them as soon as possible.

Fred. Sutton, of Whiteford Center, Monroe County, has been compelled to have one leg amputated, owing to erysipelas in his ankle and knee, which, it is claimed, was badly managed by an incompetent physician.

A settlement has been effected between Daniel Hiscock and the Toledo & Ann Arbor railroad company, the company paying him a consideration of $1,000 for the right to go through his land. The company also pay[s] the expenses of his suit against it.

The many Ypsilanti members of the 20th Michigan Infantry will be glad of their approaching Thirteenth Annual Reunion, which is to take place at Lansing, Oct. 9. The oration will be delivered by Col. C. B. Grant. The Michigan Central will carry members of the regiment for two cents per mile each way.

Statistics show that Washington is one of the most rapidly growing cities in the United States. According to the census of 1870 the population of the District of Columbia was 131,7000, the population of Washington being 109,199. The census of the District as just completed by the assessors shows the aggregate population of the District to be 160,947, and the population of Washington city to be 131,947. This is a gain of 22,748 in eight years. At this rate of increase the population of Washington in 1880 will be in the neighborhood of 165,000.

A large tame bear formerly shown in the saloon of Chris Eisele, of Adrian, is kept by one Upton upon the premises of a brother-in-law named Mahzman. At the place named Edna went out with a playmate and commenced to tease the brute. It became savage, seized and threw her down and began chewing her thigh. Upton and ayoung girl named Ethel Hodges living in the house ran out. Upton tried to drive the bear off, but instead of relinquishing his hold, the bear ran into his kennel with the little one. The girl picked up a large stone, rushed into the kennel and succeeded in extricating the child from the animal's jaws. Huge pieces of the child's thigh had already sloughed off. An amputation will be attempted but the surgeon gives little hope of saving her life.

No comments :