Friday, November 6, 2009

The 1874 Diary of Ypsilanti Teen Allie McCullough

Part of a year-long weekly series of excerpts from Ypsilanti teenager Allie McCullough's 1874 diary, from the last year of her life.

You may remember that last week Allie gave the mitten to Mr. Blair, "had a good time flirting last night," almost nodded off in church, and got a new beaver coat for winter.

Nov. 6 Fri. Marion came up to school for me this afternoon with the horses. We took a long ride. Then I got home; I had to fly around, get ready to go to a party in the country. Laura Eaton went with us. Had a magnificent time. Danced almost every set and gave someone the mitten, every time I didn't dance. A delightful ride down.

Nov. 7 Sat. Did not get home till four this morning. I never had much better time, tried to please, believe that I succeeded as much as I cared to. Carrie and Minnie B. came and called on me. I was uptown, went to dancing school in the evening. Had a splendid time. Better than I expected.

Nov. 8 Sun. Went to Church and stayed to S. S. It is raining. Am glad of it. Had a compliment today. Read a great deal and wrote a good long letter to Annie Rice. Have just heard that a little boy of my acquaintance has had his leg and arm cut off by the [railroad] cars. Have finished "Grace Lee" (book).

Nov. 9 Mon. Marion went up to Aunty's to stay all night. Carrie was down today and she is almost sick. i don't know what to make of her. I came around depot way tonight from school. Had ever so much fun as usual. Lora E. says that I made myself very agreeable last Friday night and an old Batch [bachelor] said he thought I was a pretty nice girl.

Nov. 10 Tues. There has [sic] been four funerals today. Miss Brower, a Normal student and Belle Chase, a teacher from the North, but living here, a Mr. Lee and the little boy whose arm and leg were cut off. Mr. Stoddard died this morning. Went up to Carrie's after school. Durbin acts just the same as ever and I believe feels the same.

Nov. 11 Wed. Had a jolly time in school today and had all of my lessons. Read a long time in the evening. Carrie W. and Minnie Bramble called for a few minutes. I got a letter from Emma Stone. It was excellent. Got an invitation from Cora Guy to another surprise party Friday night. It is a very urgent one.

Nov. 12 Thurs. Haven't done anything in particular today. Saw John Stoddart [spelling in diary is different than the aforementioned Mr. Stoddard who died on Tues.] and spoke to him. He smiles and acted just the same as usual, but it seems as if he would be different. The girls have gone up to Aunt Lizzie's to tea. Tried to study, but got so sleepy that I had to go to bed early.

Nov. 13 Fri. Miss something in Philosophy yhis morning but recited all the rest of the lesson and had it better than the others. Did the same thing in History and in Latin. Prof. C. asked me a question I could not answer and he said, "I would not forget all I ever knew on this particular day." Was provoked enough to kill him, but did not show it the least bit. Did not go to Lyceum. Went up town and got trimmings for my sack.

Thanks for reading; tune in this coming Friday for another chapter!.

No comments :