Here's a cartoon from the 1912 Aurora normal School yearbook that shows the daily life of a student. The 6 panels depict:
1. Student waking up in his austere boarding house room (long before dorms at EMU, students boarded around town in boardinghouses approved by the school or in private homes).
2. Running down Ellis street to class. Ellis was the onetime name of the stretch of Washtenaw between the water tower and Huron.
3. Late to class!
4. Back at the boardinghouse for "boardinghouse hash" for lunch, with landlady scowling in background.
5. Studying on the radiator in a chilly boardinghouse room.
6. Nightmares of the dreaded blue book!