Friday, October 2, 2009

The 1874 Diary of Ypsilanti Teen Allie McCullough

Part of a year-long weekly series of excerpts from Ypsilanti teenager Allie McCullough's 1874 diary, from the last year of her life.

You may remember that last week Allie went over to the Fairgrounds, where she "had plenty of chances to flirt," but didn't, really.

Oct. 2 Fri. Got ready and went to Detroit on the 10:10 train. Mr. Clayburg rode up on the street car with me. I went to Dr. Kermott's and got some medicine, then went up to Aunt Clara's. Got there about two. Mary did not get home until late. They have a little baby and it is cross as fury. Had a nice time.

Oct. 3 Sat. After dinner I got ready and went up to Anna Rice's. We had a good time all of the afternoon and after lunch we went to Olive Granger's; an elegant house on Fort Street and she went up town with us. We went all over and had a good old time. Went on the market and to the P.O. Got home about half past nine. Crackers. (a cool letter).

Oct. 4 Sun. Did not have breakfast until nine. Went to the M. E. Church, Howard St. Went home to dinner and then to Sunday School. Very nice. Olive came in the afternoon about four and we went to Church. When we got to her gate, coming home, two fellows came up, Ann's and another. They had seen us at Church. Anna's fellow took her arm and the other went with me. He's real nice, a perfect gentleman. I did not go to sleep until 12.

Oct. 5 Mon. Went down to Mrs. Edwards and stayed to dinner, elegant house. Glad to see me, nice time. Went back and Anna and I went to the Mac Emporium, beautiful, then went down to the depot with me. John Stoddard came and sat with me, when we got here, came home with me. He is O. K., very pleasant and made a pleasant speech.

Oct. 6 Tues. Went to school, did not have my lessons of course. Girls all glad to see me. Cough worse than it was. Wrote composition in afternoon and abstract. John Ninde walked with me this noon. Carrie Newton called for a little while tonight.

Oct. 7 Wed. [no entry]

Oct. 8 Thurs. Cora B. walked down with me this noon. We just more than had a good talk. Went up to Joe's after school and had a magnificent talk. She told me some things that pleased me very much. Then I went to Carrie's and she came down town with me. It was dark when I got home.

Oct. 9 Fri. Went to Lyceum. There were very few there but I never acted so in my life as I did then. All of the boys (that is, all that amount to anything) went off, so I had to take up with Mr. MacCormic, but he is better than none and it pleased him. I shall have to treat him cool now in order to keep the same thing from happening again.

Thanks for reading; tune in this coming Friday for another chapter!.

1 comment :

Unknown said...

"Anna and I went to the Mac Emporium"

Early Apple store?