Monday, October 19, 2009

"Onions make your nostrils quiver...

...They're elegant with tender LIVER," claims this 1939 ad from Ypsilanti's Wolf's Grocery.

"The French call it "Liver soubise" but your family will call it "delicious." And the little vitamins and proteins and minerals seem to make liver their main basis of operation. It's easy to make, too--and so inexpensive you can serve it often."

Dusty D likes to think she has catholic tastes in food, but here is one item I can do without. The liver is the body's filter, like a furnace filter. Just as the idea of a furnace filter casserole fails to appeal to me, a heaping plate of steaming animal filter leaves me reaching for the Brussels sprouts and mashed parsnips. To each his own. If you feel like serving this delicacy, just stop by 309 Miles St. or phone 974.

8 comments :

Unknown said...

Onions, heck, yes. Liver, ummm, no.

I grew up as one of ten children, and my folks didn't have a lot of money. Needless to say, a fast-food meal for 12 was a rare event.

The ONLY time we got one was when my mom fixed my dad his favorite meal - (you guessed it!) liver and onions.

25 cent Burger Chef hamburgers fixed up with topping from the Fixin's Bar - what a treat! I can't match it 35 years later.

Dusty D said...

Richard, that is a great recollection. Was Burger Chef a Michigan chain? It does sound delicious.

That is pretty funny that your dad enjoyed his liver and onions while the rest of the family fled the household. :) :)

Unknown said...

Burger Chef was a regional chain purchased by Hardee's in the mid 1980's. We liked it because they were CHEAP as well as tasty.

If I remember, BC in Ypsi was on Michigan Avenue across from the Bomber Restaurant. It turned into a Hardee's, and the building is now Lucas Coney Island. You can see the unmistakable fast food design origins of the building.

Lucas was one of my favorite breakfast spots when I lived in Ypsi. Hope it is still good.

Dusty D said...

Oh, interesting! Thank you for the history!

I have to say I've never tried Lucas', but now it's on my list! Usually we go down to Bill's Coney Island, just a bit further down Michigan Ave (the yellow shack) for coneys in the summer. With root beer.

Unknown said...

My parent had their first date at Bill's in 1946 :-)

Have you gone to Roy's Squeeze Inn right across the street? You haven't lived until you have had a Big Squeeze with Cheese...

Dusty D said...

Ooh, a great place for a first date! What a nice recollection! My sweetie and I love going there and ordering 8-10 coneys, sitting on the picnic table, and just mowing through them...ahh, summer.

Yep, we've been to the Squeeze Inn, but I didn't order the Big Squeeze with Cheese. I think I'll put that on this weekend's list of fun things to do!

Unknown said...

We take several Big Squeeze's back home to Illinoize with us when we are in Ypsi, triple wrapped against the grease. Somehow, they just aren't the same reheated as eating them hot off the grill!

Dusty D said...

Mm, sounds good. I don't think those would make it too far if they were in my car. :)