Sunday, October 11, 2009

The 1874 Diary of Ypsilanti Teen Allie McCullough

Part of a year-long weekly series of excerpts from Ypsilanti teenager Allie McCullough's 1874 diary, from the last year of her life.

You may remember that last week Allie visited Detroit to get some medicine and visit her Aunt Clara. She said her cough was "worse than it was."

Oct. 9 Fri. Went to Lyceum. There were very few there but I never acted so in my life as I did then. All of the boys (that is, all that amount to anything) went off, so I had to take up with Mr. MacCormic, but he is better than none and it pleased him. I shall have to treat him cool now in order to keep the same thing from happening again.

Oct. 10 Sat. I read to Alex in the afternoon and the forenoon got my history lesson. Braided my hair in one braid and let it hang down my back and tied blue ribbons on it. Joe and Carrie came and called on me and I went up town with them and then to Carrie's for a little while. She came down town with me and Uncle came in the eve. Everyone thinks I look nice with my hair in this way.

Oct. 11 Sun. Went to Church in the morning and stayed to S. S. Wrote four letters in the afternoon. It is very cold. Went to Church in the evening. Would give all I possess if I could live last Sunday over again.

Oct. 12 Mon. Went to school of course, never had my lessons better. Have company. Pa has got a coal stove. It will be real nice, I think. Carrie N. came down, had a good talk, went part way home with her. Carrie Wilcox called. She is going at the Normal.

Oct. 13 Tues. Joe came down and invited me up there tomorrow afternoon. Mrs. Smith is here. Had a jolly time in school the second hour. Have a complimentary ticket for Hermaines Grand Art Exhibit tomorrow night. Got a long letter from Ida.

Oct. 14 Wed. Went up to Joe's this afternoon. Stopped for Carrie N. Selinda Curtis was there. We spent a very pleasant afternoon. Carrie came down town with me. Got ready and went up to the show with Will. Almost everyone of the scholars were there. It was very nice. A fellow sitting opposite tried to flirt.

Oct. 15 Thurs. Have felt miserable all day. Do not know what is the matter with me. Have got to write an essay on slang phrases. The girls went to the show tonight. I went to bed very early.

Oct. 16 Fri Went up to the Sem. and stayed to the social a little whiel and then went up to the Normal. Had a very good time especially at the Sem. Mr. Mac (Cormick) was very anxious that I should stay this afternoon. Mr. Gay looked and stared at me this afternoon so that I bowed and he did hte same and I shall now all the time [be?] without an introduction.

Thanks for reading; tune in this coming Friday for another chapter!.

No comments :