Monday, July 19, 2010

Allie McCullough Obituary


Allie McCullough died on July 19, 1875.

Her obituary in the July 24, 1875 Ypsilanti Commercial:

"DIED: At Ypsilanti, July 19, of consumption, Allie, youngest daughter of William and Catherine McCullough, aged 17 years.

"The deceased was a young lady of noble traits and was very highly esteemed by a large circle of friends and relatives. Her tranquil death gives us a sublime illustration of peaceful resignation to the will of God.

"Waking up about four o'clock in the morning, she asked her Mother what time it was. On being answered, she said, 'I am afraid I shall not die tonight, but God knows best.'

"A few moments later she asked her Mother to move her a little and just as the sun was illuminating the eastern sky with golden splendor, raising up her hands, she sxclaimed, 'O Mother,' and passed to her final sleep."

4 comments :

Heidi Renée said...

That sure is a romanticized version of dying of consumption. I don't suppose today's obits are all that different, though. Just different ailments.

I've enjoyed being a part of Allie's life all these years later.

Dusty D said...

It is a very flowery obit, to be sure, but your point is well taken; not all that different from today's.

There was an obit about a semi-famous celeb (writer?) not long ago, written by his friend, that was brutally honest: "he squandered his gifts in drink and never fulfilled his promise" or something like that. Just searched for it, couldn't find it.

Anonymous said...

I'm confused as to her final entry. Are they the entries that are dated 7/18? Did she die suddenly? Or...?

I have LOVED this. I am feeling sadness reading her obit. I just learned about the memorial service, I
am glad that others are as moved as I have been. Reading this has been indelible and haunting experience.
THANKS SO MUCH!

Dusty D said...

Anon, the entries are from the summer before her death. I started serializing her diary in the spring of 2009, so it ended in the spring-summer of 2010. She died about half a year later from her last entries in December.

I am glad you were moved by her entries; I was, too. I hope you enjoy the new diary entries by Abba Owen.