Friday, July 30, 2010

Technology of Our Childhoods

Dusty Diary was studiously reading old 1973 microfilm reproductions of the Ypsi Press last week in Halle Library. I was researching the story of Ypsilanti Little League pioneer Carolyn King for a story for iSPY; should be in the next issue.

As usual, my scholarly pursuit almost immediately devolved into being distracted by random tidbits in the old papers. I was printing out pages showing 70s fashions while snickering when I came upon a story about how the library was a newly dynamic spot, packed with new technology. The story was accompanied by a pic of this little guy watching...a film strip.

Ah, film strips.


wave of nostalgia


Remember film strips? The boring, didactic messages, the little "BOOP" sound that told the teacher to advance to the next image? Sometimes the teacher messed up and had to search for the right image; at any rate, no matter how bad the film strip was, it was better than doing actual work. Perhaps the Dreamland could revive the notion of film strips in an edgy retro manner. I for one kind of miss this artifact of my childhood (sigh). Here's an extra-cheesy example, from 1948.

4 comments :

BF said...

It might have been the first time my son was at the Ann Arbor Hands On Museum, about 18 years ago(?), that we came upon one of the filmstrip projectors with the record player on the back - Neil immediately recognized it for what it was, functionally, when he pointed to it and said it was a "big CD".

Dusty D said...

That is hilarious...a "big CD." Love the Hands-On Museum. Fun for curious and playful people of any age.

Unknown said...

Wow, this is SO OBNOXIOUS. Golly. Adults and children preaching -- in verse -- with the accompaniment of threatening organ music out of a horror movie; yet somehow not giving any ACTUAL helpful safety information about riding a bike. It's all threats, jeering and "I told you so." Wow. I remember filmstrips fondly -- surely they weren't all like this?!?!

Dusty D said...

Doesn't it grate on your nerves? It sure did on mine! So cheerless and frankly nasty. No helmets worn back then, I note (ouch!)

About the least effective way to teach bike safety IMO. :)

I don't think all were like this; I too remember filmstrips fondly. "BOOP!"