Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wednesday Mystery Spot

Last week I posted an old photo of a long-gone building, confident that no one would guess something that doesn't even exist any more. I even started humming a carefree little tune--for about 45 seconds. That's how much time it took for BF to, once again, nail it, followed closely by cmadler, lhillebr, and, over on Facebook, Brent J. Yes, yes, you were all right--this is EMU's old gymnasium, which sat in the little parking lot just east of the water tower.

Sigh.

However, yesterday at the Archives I had the chance to do some deep digging in some mighty obscure files. I found this photo of a vanished Ypsilanti business--its old building, however, still stands. But where? There are several clues in the photo, two in particular. Take your best guess!

7 comments :

BF said...

Formerly Barfield Manufacturing?

http://tinyurl.com/yazjml3

Roofline looks the same.

designated conservative said...

That's the building on Lowell St. that VGKidz is renovating, in my opinion.

cmadler said...

United Stove Company, incorporated in 1925, acquired c. 1952 by Gar Wood Industries.

It's definitely one of those two buildings between Huron River Drive and Lowell.

Elizabeth said...

Looks like others have beat me to it, but I agree that it's off Lowell - I ran past a lot this summer & the roof line in the photo immediately jumped out to me. As to what it is/was, I've not idea.

Anonymous said...

This is the building on the corner of Lowell and Huron. The perspective is looking west on Huron. In 1985 it was the Suds Factory, a bar that only lasted a year or so.

cmadler said...

Anonymous, that's the one I was leaning toward, because the direction of the roof angles matches it better than the building to the south.

cmadler said...

That is, the direction of the angles on the roof relative to the street.

What makes me unsure about that is that, looking at aerial photos in Google Maps, it appears that there used to be a road/drive between the buildings, and I wonder if this photo was taken of the southern of the two buildings, looking along that now-defunct road.