Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Huron Hotel Floor Plan

Dusty D picked up a lot of interesting ephemera during research for my last Ann Arbor Chronicle article about the Huron Hotel (Centennial Center). I'll be posting some of these cool items over the next few days as time permits. Here is a floor plan on the first floor of the hotel, labeled with a date that appears to be 1936 (possibly 1986, hard to tell; the lettering font suggests the former, does it not?). It's not much different from the original floor plan of 1923.

On the left is the old coffeeshop that later served as a series of restaurants, most recently Buffalo Wild Wings and is now Korey's Krispy Krunchy Chicken. Those tables look a bit jammed-in, don't they? At top is the big kitchen., and below it, a bar occupying the original site of the reception desk. I believe the big empty room on the right was used as a formal dining room for banquets, &c. I wish I could go back in time and traipse through and see it for myself.

3 comments :

BF said...

I think the lettering actually suggests the latter. I also think that with the walk-in freezer, the electrical rooms, and the fire extinguisher notations, it further reinforces the latter date.

I ate there a couple of times when the restaurant "Woodruff's Grove" was there, this would have been in the early 1980's.

Dusty D said...

BF: Those are good observations. I do believe you are right; thanks for the note.

According to my info "Woodruff's Grove" was open 1980-1989.

Unknown said...

Not to mentioned the Pizza Oven and Pizza table. My guess is also 1986. I think I may have eaten at Woodruff's Grove once or twice myself.