Thursday, March 18, 2010

Thursday Twofer: New Stories

Yeah, I just keep churnin' 'em out. Deadlines are a godsend to the lazy.

1. How were census forms different in the past and what are the sociocultural implications motivating these changes?

Have you, like me, lost sleep over this question? Then let my new story be your Nyquil!

2. The Gilbert House is one of Ypsilanti's most elegant homes. Surely not the home of anyone who might be a bit of a crackpot inventor.

Right? Well, find out already! Note: The Courier, who writes my headlines, used the word "macabre" for this one. Eek!

2 comments :

TeacherPatti said...

I read the census article in the Ypsi paper. That's pretty scary re: the labels they put on people...and I've never really "got" the whole deaf and dumb thing. I mean, why DEAF and dumb? Why deaf, specifically? Not that you should say anyone is dumb, but I always found it odd that deaf, specifically, was paired with it.
The columns re: children born and children living was sobering.

Dusty D said...

Hi Patti, thanks for reading! Yeah, it's interesting how much the census changed over the years. I think the meaning of "dumb" used here is "unable to speak; mute." Yes, there were too many discrepancies between the "children born" and the "children living" categories...pretty sad to look at.