Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Wednesday Mystery Spot

Readers sussed out last week's Mystery Spot in no time. The clue was, of course, the W. L. McCullough business. Named for Allie's older brother, the W. L. McCullough Co is listed in the 1905 directory as situated at 2-4 Congress E, a/k/a Michigan Ave just east of the river. The site is the northwest corner of the Water Street property as you know. Congrats to cmadler and BF.

This week's Mystery Spot is for the true old-timers. I apologize for the picture quality, but I imagine that will not be an impediment to those who will recognize this portrait from years gone by. But from where? Take a swing at it and good luck!

7 comments :

Dusty D said...

There is a sorrowful fact about this portrait.

The little boy in the upper left corner died before it was completed.

His likeness was finished by the artist using a photograph to paint him in. The portrait is in part a memento mori.

Joe said...

Here is my wild guess. Is it the Gilbert Family.

Dusty D said...

Joe, that is an interesting guess. :) We'll see!

cmadler said...

Joe: you didn't happen to get that idea from the image title (gilbert.jpg), did you? :-)

Dusty D said...

Dad bling it, was I really so dense as to not retitle the jpg? Heaven help me. Well, no one's fault but mine. Call me Dopey Dora this week.

Joe said...

I can not tell a lie. Yes.

Dusty D said...

I'm firin' on one cylinder today, I tell ya. Mebbe I should just go take a nap.