Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Diary of Abba Owen

Newest chapter in an ongoing serialization of the 1888 diary of Abba Owen, daughter of Ypsilanti mineral water baron Tubal Cain Owen and Anna (Stowe Foote) Owen. The Owens lived in a now-vanished house near the current day Roosevelt School building on EMU, where Tubal also had his magical and very profitable well.

Friday Aug 10th: To-day has been quite cold, the thermometer stood at 64' this morning and we had a fire all day. Grandpa and I went down town this morning and it rained before we got back. Mama received a letter from Eber today saying that they were having a splendid time and they arrived there at one o'clock and Prof. Sudner was over to Trenton to meet them and he also said that they were invited over to Miss Gray's to spend the evening. To-day mama, Grandma, myself and the girl canned a bushel of huckel berries to-day and it was a job.

Saturday Aug 11th: This morning Mama and I unpacked our trunks a job we did not enjoy very much.

Sunday Aug 12th:: This morning Mama and I got all ready for Church and it began to rain and continued to rain all day so we did not go. It seemed strange not to have the boys here today. When Grandpa and Grandma came up to dinner there were only five to sit down at the table. Grandma invited Mama Papa and I down to lunch this evening and we had a nice time.

Monday Aug 13th: Today has been quite warm. Mama and I drove all around this morning to see if we could get a second girl, as we have only one now, but we we found one woman who said her daughter might come and if we would come over tomorrow she would tell us so we came home. Mr. and Mrs. Sill and Mrs. Graham called this evening and after the event Grandpa, Grandma, Mama and I drove down town.

Tuesday Aug. 14th: last night after we were all in bed there came a pounding at the door, and Papa got up and it was the boys come home. Rickey has been sick every since he went away and so Eber brought him home. They came home on the cars and left their horse at Grose Isle and Eber went back this morning and will probably stay two or three days and then drive home. The doctor came last night to see him. He has been in bed all day. Eber brought home some lovely large Black Bass that they caught and we had some for dinner and supper and Grandma also had one for dinner and they were very nice. To-day has been real pleasant but tonight it rained a little. To-day is Mama's birthday. I wrote a letter to Louise [Snigdin] this morning.

Wensday Aug 15th: This has been a hot sultry day. Grandpa and Grandma spent the afternoon and took tea. I drove down in the evening for the mail.

Thursday Aug 16th: To-day has been very warm, at noon the thermometer stood 92' in the shade. This afternoon Grandma and I walked up to the upper pasture to see them thrash oats. They thrashed a stack of oats for Papa, he got about 150 bu. of oats off of three acres of land. We walked up, but Papa had the horse and buggy up there so he had Grandma and I ride home. This evening it grew dark and it litninged but it has not rained yet. Richard feels better to-day.

Friday Aug 18: This morning I did not feel very well so I lounged around. The Doctor came this morning to see Rickey and he said he would not come any more and Rickey says that he will get up in the morning. Got up and dressed in the afternoon but is feeling weak. I went down town this afternoon.

Thanks for reading! Tune in next Tuesday for another week of Abba's diary!

No comments :