Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Diary of Abba Owen

Newest chapter in an ongoing serialization of the 1888 diary of Abba Owen, daughter of Ypsilanti mineral water baron Tubal Cain Owen and Anna (Stowe Foote) Owen. The Owens lived in a now-vanished house near the current day Roosevelt School building on EMU, where Tubal also had his magical and very profitable well.

Friday Aug. 31st: This morning Eber and I went down to Grandpa's and took a ride with his horse. Grandpa [went] to Plymouth this afternoon.

Saturday Sept. 1st: Here it is the first of Sept. and it does not seem as if we had had any summer at all. This morning it was quite cool and we had a fire. Eber has not [done] so well to-day and had the doctor this morning.

Sunday Sept. 2nd: Mama and I went to church this morning. Rev. Mr. Matt Williams preached. We liked him very much but he has a very weak voice. We all went down to Grandma's to tea. Grandpa arrived home from Plymouth just before tea and he said he had a nice time.

Monday Sept. 3rd: All the schools commenced to-day. The Normal which has [never opened] so soon [opened] to-day. I did not go to-day and don't expect to until Wensday as the first two days are for examination. Eber went to school today, he goes to the Union School. This afternoon Grandma Mama and I went down town.

Tuesday Sept. 4th: This morning Mama and I went up to Mrs. Post's and she gave Mama two lovely sea urchins that she picked up when she was at Florida. Papa found a large Indian hatchet in our back field and gave it to me. It is a lovely one and very perfect. Grandma and Grandma came up and took tea with us. Grant's Pump factory burnt down to the ground this afternoon.

Wednesday Sept. 5: Grandma started for Lewiston this morning at half past eight so we all got up early and went down to her house to see her off. I went to school this morning. They have had the Normal all fixed over and additions built on to it so that it is much larger. They have also had the organ in the chapel [put] onto the stage and the quire [sic] sit there also. The organ used to be in the back end of the hall so that your back was at all the music. It has been very cool today. This morning after [sum] the thermom. stood at 48'. We have had a fire off and on all day.

Thursday Sept 6th: This morning I was sick and did not go to school. It has been quite cool to-day. It said in the paper that there had been frost in a good many places in Michigan.

Friday Sept. 7th: I did not feel well to-day and did not go to school, had the Doctor this afternoon he did not want me to go to school this year but I think I shall. Mrs. Wheat and Mrs. Van Tyle of Detroit called on Mama this morning. Miss Post also called this morning; she has just returned from a visit in Detroit and she attended the funeral of Bishop Harris. Eber sleeps down to Grandpa's since Grandma has been gone. Grandpa received a postal from Grandma saying that she arrived safely at five o'clock. Cousin Will Cooke was at the train to meet her and she found Aunt Libbie better than she supposed her to be.

Thanks for reading! Tune in next Tuesday for another week of Abba's diary!

No comments :