Friday, October 16, 2009

The 1874 Diary of Ypsilanti Teen Allie McCullough

Part of a year-long weekly series of excerpts from Ypsilanti teenager Allie McCullough's 1874 diary, from the last year of her life.

You may remember that last week Allie wrote an essay on slang phrases, tried a new hairstyle and got compliments, and examined the new stove her father brought home.

Oct. 16 Fri Went up to the Sem. and stayed to the social a little whiel and then went up to the Normal. Had a very good time especially at the Sem. Mr. Mac (Cormick) was very anxious that I should stay this afternoon. Mr. Gay looked and stared at me this afternoon so that I bowed and he did the same and I shall now all the time [be?] without an introduction.

Oct. 17 Sat. Got some of my lessons this afternoon and then went up town. Went to Miss Coe's and then up to Carrie's. Met Miss Eva Lepel (?) there. We had quite a good time. Joe came down town with us and we got to talking about flirting. I said something and made her mad. She told me to mind my own business and several other things, but I do not care, and it was my fault. I ought not to say very polite things.

Oct. 18 Sun. Went to church with Carrie N. After dinner Will and the girls and I went down to Cora Guys. We had a delightful ride and a very good visit. Did not get home until about Church time. Went to the M.E. Church. Mr. Petts preached. Very good.

Oct. 19 Mon. Have had ever so much fun today. Read my composition on Slang Phrases and the boys fairly roared. Going to school this noon I met Mr. Chase and Mr. Miller. Spoke to C. and Mr. Miller lifted his hat, turned around and he did the same with a very low bow again. I returned the bow and will speak now every time. He has tried to flirt with me before. Took a long ride after school.

Oct. 20 Tues. Carrie N. came down tonight. We had a splendid good talk. Went up town with her. There is to be a dancing school here this winter. Hope I can go. Carrie told me ever so much. Took a long, long ride after school. Took Carrie. Marion saw Miller and bowed.

Oct. 21 Wed. Was examined this morning in History almost all of the morning. Think that I have passed. Saw Joe today. Had callers after school, ever so much fun. Mr. Mac C. don't know what to make of me, and the way I treat him. Mr. Padley was here to dinner.

Oct. 22 Thurs. Went up to Carrie's after school. Had a real nice time. Minnie Bramble came and we went down town together. We went all over town and went to get weighed. Minnie is 127; Carrie 128 1/2; I 97 1/2. The fellow where we went in is just gay, especially to us tonight.

Oct. 23 Fri. Went to Lyceum. Mr. Lamb was there. He and I had quite a chat. Gay came. All the girls wanted him the worst way, but did not dare to speak to him. I did, after a while. We went to promenade and we had a good talk. He acts as if he thought I was about right. Got a note from him in the evening and had ever so many compliments.

Thanks for reading; tune in this coming Friday for another chapter!.

No comments :