Monday, October 19, 2009

Ghost-Hunting in Highland Cemetery

The South Lyon Area Paranormal Society generously invited Dusty D to ghost-hunt in Highland Saturday night. We met there at 10 p.m., entering the caretaker's driveway.

Jennifer told the caretakers we were there, and I chatted with SLAPS member Scott, who demonstrated his military-style flashlight, purchased from Harry's Army Surplus. Another SLAPS member unloaded a handheld temperature probe and a tape recorder from their vehicle.

We spoke verbal introductions to any nearby spirits, stated our names, and Jennifer told them we were not here to threaten them but only to communicate if they wished.

We set out along the main southward path. A tiny white and black cat was following us, and Jennifer shone the temperature probe's red laser pointer on the ground, playing with the cat, who pounced on and chased it. Periodically Jennifer turned around and called, "Hello? Anyone there?" We froze and listened. "I thought I heard someone following us," she stated. I didn't hear anything. We continued walking.

The group's psychic, Jerry, and another SLAPS member took the car and ventured to a part of the cemetery Jerry wished to visit. Jennifer showed me Carrie Hardy's grave--and the grave of her husband Ervin, who she'd married late in life! This was astonishing, and I felt privileged to see Carrie's grave and quietly stand and pay my respects for a moment.

Jennifer tested the temperature probe on some of the markers, a tree, and a mausoleum. In each case the objects were about 5 degrees warmer than the air temperature, since they retained heat for some time after sundown; I found this interesting. The probe is to test for the "cold spots" that some associate with spirits.

The denouement of the night came at the southern end of the park. Jennifer was showing me another set of Hardy graves from another branch of the family. Jerry was in the car about 200 feet away down the path.

Suddenly one SLAPS member whirled around and stared at the car. "Is Jerry all right?" she said nervously. One half second later, Jerry yelled, "The car's moving! The car's moving!" He was sitting in the 2nd row of seats and couldn't get to the brake pedal.

Jennifer ran to the car, leaped in, and stopped it. Later she said, "I could see it moving when I got to the car." No one was hurt, but Jerry was very agitated. He said he had seen a menacing figure in a black cape who had spoken to him. The figure said, "You will be sorry."

Well, that put an end to walking around in a pitch-dark cemetery. We all piled into the car and drove around the back part of the cemetery. The other SLAPS member said, "I've never said that before--'is Jerry all right'; but I just felt you were in trouble." Jerry repeated his story, and we were all a bit spooked. A consensus that the ghost-hunt was over was unanimously reached and we drove back to the caretaker's house, piled out, said goodbyes, and left. It was midnight.

Dusty D did not pick up any vibes from walking through the cemetery, but I don't think I have an ability to see or detect ghosts if they exist, and I was there with my sweetie and so wasn't concerned. The cemetery at night is beautiful and a tad spooky in a pleasant gothic manner, and I very much enjoyed my time there with the very nice SLAPS members. It was an interesting and fun new experience; thank you, SLAPS!

Note: The photo is not mine, but another photo of Highland altered to suggest night.

13 comments :

cmadler said...

10 a.m. or Saturday night?

Dusty D said...

Oops, 10 p.m., sorry for the typo; fixed it.

Jennifer Redfern said...

Hey Dusty, We were so glad to have you and your hubbie that night. It was fun, well besides the end where I almost tripped while running to save someone. But it's all in a ghost hunters work. However that was exciting that night, and you be sure SLAPS will be back again, and surprisingly Gerry too. All together AWESOME night. I Was also wondering, do you know who founded Willis, MI?
Thanks

Dusty D said...

Hm, I don't know offhand who founded Willis. But we do have a file on Willis in the Archives that I would be happy to copy for you if you like, or dig up for you to peruse if you stop by. I'll also be there tomorrow, so I can take a peek and see if it says.

Oops, misspelled Gerry's name, my apologies!

You and all the SLAPS members were very welcoming and kind, and we instantly felt comfortable. We both had a great time. Thank you for inviting us.

Jennifer Redfern said...

Hey that's cool. Yeah I could stop by tomorrow at the archives about 2:30pm so I can see the file. No prob it was fun to have you. I am sending you a picture of the hunt. Its a picture of a ghost.

Dusty D said...

That would be nice; see you then!

Ooh, a ghost pic? Thank you!

Traci Nofs Photography said...

Glad you guys had fun... It was a fun investigation :)... We enjoyed ourselves as well....

Dusty D said...

Yes, it was a good experience. Wonder if SLAPS plans to return some day...

Traci Nofs Photography said...

Of course we plan to return some day :)...

Jennifer Redfern said...

Who is Sun77_mi? I believe I know.

Dusty, See you tomorrow.

Dusty D said...

Jennifer: I'm afraid I do not know.

Wystan said...

The hamlet of Willis was named for Willis Potter, the farmer who owned most of the land there, where a road crossed the railroad tracks. At first, the place was named Potter, but as there was already a village by that name, the inhabitants decided to go with "Willis" instead.

Dusty D said...

Wystan: That is fascinating. Thank you for teaching me something I did not know. I used to love going down to the Pickle Barrel...but mostly because the neighborhood at night, after dinner (1 auction house, 1 feed store, 1 hardware store, a few houses and that's it) has such an air of the past farming era, or of a dwindled town. The feed store is still runnin', in an old building right by the tracks, and the Pickle Barrel is now a restaurant called....I think "Boneheads."