Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The 1919 Diary of Ypsilanti High School Teacher Carrie Hardy

Part of a year-long weekly serialization of Ypsilanti high school math teacher Carrie Hardy's diary.

Kind readers may recall that last week Carrie was still feeling lingering effects from her summer illness. But she was starting to get back in the swing of things at school, and went shopping with fellow teacher Miss Gieske.

Sept. 30 Tues. Taught all day again + gave out locker keys to freshmen after school.

Oct. 1 Wed. Did not go to chapel, but Mr. Arbaugh talked about the history of our school. Keys to sophomores.

Oct. 2 Thurs. Keys to Juniors. Am not doing much work out side of school.

Oct. 3 Fri. Seniors get keys. I have now taught one week. What will become of me when I can no longer teach.

Oct. 4 Sat. Worked at housework all day long. Van helped me for 2 hours. Oh My but I am tired.

Oct. 5 Sun. Cleaned my kitchen floor, went to church, was at Mr. Arbaugh's for dinner.

Oct. 6 Mon. Lillian is sick + out of school with a cold. I have lost weight this week. Teachers meeting.

Oct. 7 Tues. Lillian not in school today. Drove over with my washing this A.M. Also drove after school. Tires leak.

Thanks for reading; tune in next Tuesday for the next series!

9 comments :

Unknown said...

So, Lillian definitely worked at the school. Last week, it was not so clear: "stopped by Lillian's room" could have meant her room in a rooming house, I suppose. But now we know for sure she worked at the school. I wonder if she could have been a secretary or administrator, perhaps even a custodial person or coach? I know girls played basketball at this time, so it could have been that...

Jennifer Redfern said...

Yeah that could have been.

Jennifer Redfern said...

South Lyon Paranormal is coming back to Ypsilanti. October 17th SLAPS is ghost hunting Highland Cemetery. We start at 10:00pm and going to 1:30am. Anyone can come at any time, or leave at any time. Come and have fun. Dusty pass this along please.

Dusty D said...

Lisele: I'm a-gonna dig through my yearbooks to see if I find anyone. Might take a day or two to check fully, but I'm certainly curious now. Thank you for the tip!

Dusty D said...

Ms. Redfern: Oh, folks can tag along? Ooh, very cool! I'd LOVE to be in Highland at night--especially on a cool crisp Oct. evening! Thank you for letting me know--I'll post @ it later today.

Jennifer Redfern said...

Yep anyone can come, as you know it's a big Cemetery.

Dusty D said...

Very big and very beautiful, one of my favorite places to be in Ypsilanti, fortuitously just around the corner from my home.

Jennifer Redfern said...

I hope you will come on Saturday. We are all ready to be there at 10:00pm. It will be nice meeting you in person. Bring anyone who wants to come. Hope to see you there.

Dusty D said...

Dear Jennifer: We will be there, and thank you for the invite! Just to check: we thought: bring a flashlight, maybe my tape recorder; anything else?

Also, since I presume the gates will be closed, would we park in the driveway area leading up to the gate; is that OK?

Thanks again!