Monday, September 28, 2009

Entertainment on a Rainy September Night...in 1950

Hey sweetie, since we're not going walking because of the rain, why don't we finish these dinner dishes and watch some TV?

OK! What's on?

I'm just checking the paper...hey, at 7 p.m. there are three channels to choose from! Three! Geez! I'm not a fan of Kukla, Fran, and Ollie, though.

How about that Edison Electric Theater play there, "The Invisible Wound?"

Maybe...Hey, Voice of Firestone is coming on at 8:30. That's usually pretty good.

Kinda slim pickin's till then, isn't it?

Well, yeah...wanna listen to the radio till 8:30?

Sure, what's on?

Well, you've got six stations, here, let's see, 7 p.m... there's an orchestra on WUOM.

I like the Railroad Hour.

That's not on till 8. Ooh, and the Railroad Hour is the same time as Inner Sanctum! I never miss that!

You got to listen to Inner Sanctum last time.

That's because I never miss it!

I think I'll take a walk after all.

6 comments :

Edward Vielmetti said...

My notes on Arborwiki say that WHRV is a station that eventually became WAAM. Here's the text, cribbed from Wikipedia so far.

http://arborwiki.org/city/WHRV

"The station signed on as WHRV in October, 1948. WHRV was a typical full-service radio station of its day, with a wide variety of music ranging from pop vocals to rock and roll to Southern gospel, and a heavy commitment to local news and sports play-by-play. Ollie McLaughlin, a black DJ on WHRV, is credited for helping to discover early 1960s rocker and Michigan native Del Shannon, and, after he left the station in 1961, helped launch the careers of several other Michigan artists, including Barbara Lewis, The Capitols, and Deon Jackson."

Dusty D said...

Ed: Very interesting; I didn't know that. Wow, WAAM certainly goes back a ways, then! And is still going strong, with Lucy Ann Lance and the crew there. Pretty cool!

Edward Vielmetti said...

D: Lucy Ann Lance has moved down the dial a few kilocycles to WLBY 1290, still going strong.

Dusty D said...

Got tired of all that packin' and unpackin',
Town to town, up and down the dial.
Baby you and me were never meant to be,
Just maybe think of me once in a while.

I'm at WLBY in Salty Ciiii-tyyyy.

Unknown said...

Dusty D, you are not that much younger than me, and we only had 2, 4, 7, 9, 20, 50 and 56 when I was a kid.

I remember running home from school to catch the Japanese drawn and English overdubbed "Speed Racer" and "Kimba the White Lion" cartoons on Channel 50 in about 1970.

It also cracks me up that the last program on TV started at 10:00. Many nights I don't even turn on my TV (wish I could finish the sentence there) until after 10.

Dusty D said...

Richard: Yes sir, those were the channels we had, too. And 56 was always dicey--you had to tweak the rabbit-ears to get anything other than snow.

Ah, the pre-cable years. :)

"It also cracks me up that the last program on TV started at 10:00."

Yes sir, programming was very limited...when TV first came out, as you know, it was for a FEW hours in the evening ONLY.

These days we don't have a TV in the house, but we do watch "Hell's Kitchen" on Youtube every Wednesday night (thank you, Quickuploader!) I do like The History Channel and A&E biographies, but not enough to shell out heaven knows how much each month for cable, feh, too stingy for that.