Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Worst Book Ever Written in Ypsilanti

I have exciting, or rather, "exciting" news for kind readers. The worst book ever written in Ypsilanti, former police chief Dan Patch's "Moon Over Willow Run," is on its way to me. I ordered it from Amazon, figgering that $6.99 was well worth the pleasure of reading this gem. Readers may remember eminent local historian Wystan Stevens's summary of the book:

The dust jacket of Dan Patch's book shows a romantic couple embracing on a hillside while they watch new-assembled airplanes, sihouetted by moonlight, as they roar into the sky from the runway of the Ford Bomber plant. How many hills do you know of near the Willow Run airport?

Unfortunately "Moon Over Willow Run" was not the only load of tripe purveyed by Mr. Patch, a very religious man who wrote moralistic, religious novels for the edification of American youth.

(In "Moon," even as they watch the bombers, the hero and heroine are planning their future life together, as missionaries in a faraway, exotic land.)

How can anyone take seriously a police chief -- or an author -- who is named after a famous race horse?


An excellent question. It is thanks to Mr. Stevens, whose colorful mini-review piqued my interest, that I'll soon be the proud owner of "Moon Over Willow Run." I will avidly read it once it arrives and review this item for blog readers.

Then we can add it to the shelf of books by or about Ypsilantians, which include Harriet Arnow's "The Dollmaker" (own that one, good stuff) and "Life on the Farm, and Selections in Prose and Poetry," by William Lambie. Any others?

5 comments :

Dusty D said...

Plus I can use the edification, heaven knows, though I'm a country mile from being a youth anymore.

Kristin Perkins Glass Jewelry said...

Well I'll be curious to hear what you think beyond the author's name, the photo on the jacket, etc. It sounds like a nice story.

Dusty D said...

Kristin: I'm anxious to read this book, just because it was written here. I'll read it, or try to, without preconceptions--just in appreciation of a work created here in Ypsi. I'll be sure to post my review.

Bob Garrett said...

"(In "Moon," even as they watch the bombers, the hero and heroine are planning their future life together, as missionaries in a faraway, exotic land.)"

That made me laugh!

That book might be an enjoyable read, although probably not for the right reasons.

Good article!

Dusty D said...

"That book might be an enjoyable read, although probably not for the right reasons."

Exactly--just like Top Ramen is a "good" meal--though not for the right reasons.

(I like mine with a coupla eggs broken into it, nom!) :D